Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fitsum

I know I never wrote about my trip to Ethiopia but while I was there, I was able to meet Fitsum. Fitsum is the eight year old girl that I have been sponsoring through KVI. I had hoped to meet her when I traveled to bring home Eli, but I didn't think it would be possible since she lives in Nazaret, two hours outside of Addis. Luckily the Larson Family planned to go to KVI orphanage in Nazaret, where their beautiful daughter Sabrina came from. They were kind enough to let me hitch a ride! ;)






Meeting the Beautiful Fitsum!!!



She's a very shy and sweet girl!





This is where she sleeps. A mat on the floor that she shares with her two sisters.


Me with Fitsum and her sister.
Meeting Fitsum was one of the most memorable and heartbreaking events of my trip. While in her home, I asked Fitsum to show me her favorite toy. She told me that she didn't have any toys. Not.One.Toy.
I am excited to say that Fitsum will soon be receiving lots of toys! The students at the high school where I teach are required to complete a senior project in order to graduate. One of my students Vanessa, chose 'World Poverty' as her topic and asked me to be her project mentor. As part of their senior project, the students must complete a number of field work hours. For her field work, Vanessa had a toy and clothing drive for Fitsum! She also found a company to sponsor her and pay for the shipping! So between myself, my friends, and Vanessa's efforts, Fitsum will shortly be receiving several boxes of clothes and toys! I am so excited and so proud of Vanessa's commitment and hard work!
And on the Elias front great things are happening! On Monday Eli turned 14 months and also took his first steps! He was hanging onto the coffee table and just decided to go for it! I think he surprised us both! He took about four steps and started to fall. A caught him and then he let out the loudest scream of excitement. It was so cute! Besides starting to walk and screaming like a girl, Eli can also say lots of words. Here are the ones I can remember: mama, dog, duck, turtle, paper, bubbles, baby, baboo (the family name for pacifier), poo poo, PU and waves his hand in front of his nose, outside, thank you, and Katie. I know there's a few more but that's all I can think of right now, it's getting late!




5 comments:

Melissa said...

I got big tears reading about Fitsum..what a wonderful gift she will receive. I wish we were able to meet our sponsored child while there :-(..next time.
YAY Elias for walking and what a vocab he has!!! SO wonderful to hear about him!

Jocelyn said...

Christy, that is amazing...what a great project for your students. It just makes me want to go back even more, every time I read a blog about older kids.
Eli is getting so big and is so beautiful (can I say that about a boy?...well I guess if he screams like a girl, I can:-)

Diane Larson said...

That was a great day, wasn't it? How exciting to be sending supplies. I loved handing out supplies while were there. Eli and Sabrina are about the same place in walking. She has taken a couple steps here and there. Have a great day! Give Eli a hug for us. Scott will be in CA this weekend, if I was going we would definitely have to get together.
Diane

Robynhood said...

Hi Christy,

I have just discovered your blog and am looking forward to reading about your amazing and beautiful son!!
What a gorgeous little boy he is. I am on an adoption journey myself and it makes me really excited to read other peoples stories. Thanks for sharing yours

:) Robyn

los cazadores said...

Christy, that is just so cool and very touching.

Cindy