Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Bittersweet

I thought today would be a good time to start my blog. As many of you know, I have for some time been in the process of adopting from Ethiopia. I began my referral wait in late November and finally on March 6th I received a referral for a beautiful 7 week old infant boy. I immediately without hesitation named this precious boy Elijah. Well, this is the bitter part. Elijah's birthmother lived quite a distance from Addis Ababa. Before I could be given a court date, the court officials wanted to make sure she would be able to make an appearance. She assured everyone she would be there but failed to keep her word. Eventually all contact was lost with her. On April 30th, I was told by my agency that it would be in my best interest to accept a new referral. Devastation cannot even come close to what I was feeling at that moment. I missed a few days of work and exactly a week later I was told the agency would be filing abandonment paperwork so Elijah could be mine. Yay! Well, the happiness only lasted for a month and once again, heartbreak! The paperwork was not going as planned! Once again I was spinning the Wheel-O-Referrals! The wheel landed on Elijah again! Let's just say I've spun the Wheel-O-Referrals a few times!

So this is where it gets sweet! Today my agency called me with a referral for an incredibly stunning four month old boy. Of course when I first looked at his picture I was looking for my little Elijah. I didn't immediately decide but over the course of the night I have fallen in love! There is also a coincidence with this new referral which I cannot share until after I pass court! I'm taking it as a sign! Tomorrow morning I will contact my agency and let them know I will be accepting this new referral. I will always think about my little Elijah and he will always be in my heart. But I really feel this is meant to be and I really need to stop spinning that dang wheel!

10 comments:

Heather said...

Congratulations! I hope you get a court date before the closing and all goes smooth. I am sure Elijah is being well cared for and will eventually be united with a family.
~Heather

Lisa said...

WHAT!!! Heather beat me??!! lol Welcome to the BLOG world Christy! I know it's been a crazy ride on the "Wheel" but I just know things are going to come together for you soon:)))

Michele Huff said...

I am so excited for you! I think this is one of every adopting mom's worsts nightmares! I can't wait to hear what sign God sent you! I will pray for your heart to heal and all the happiness in the world for you!
Michele H

Jillienne said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you. Can't wait to see your little king!

emily said...

Great news! I still think of the kids whose referral we lost, but I have to believe that everything happens for a reason. I'm sure he is beautiful. :)

Jen said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!! We're so happy for you, Christy! What wonderful news.

Melissa said...

YAY!!!! I am soooo happy you decided and feel good about it. I told you I would put a little message out to the universe for you...it worked..ha! Now you've got to get through court before it closes...I'll send another message out!!!..hee hee

Lindy Young said...

Christy, I am so glad you have a blog and what a great way to start out your first post. This is a sweet and tender moment for you, and I am so happy for you both. Please take care and keep us posted!

Lindy

Jocelyn said...

I am so glad that you started a blog!!! YAY for your referral. I know how hard it is to open your heart again, I am so happy for you.

Sarah said...

Hi Christy! Just found your blog and was encouraged to read about your experiences- good and bad. My husband and I are at the very very beginning fo considering Ethiopian adoption so I will be following your journey closely. I too decided to start a blog about my journey towards a family (we're still open to bio but are quickly moving towards adoption first) and it has really helped me process. You're welcome to check it out at http://johnandsarahplusone.blogspot.com/ Looking forward to keeping up with your exciting journey!